The Council Secretariat
The Council of Atlantic Premiers’ (CAP) Secretariat is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Secretariat organizes the work of the Council. In its role as a catalyst for Atlantic and Maritime intergovernmental cooperation, the Secretariat:
- serves the premiers in meeting the goals of the Council of Atlantic Premiers (CAP), the Council of Maritime Premiers (CMP), and the Eastern Canadian Premiers (ECP);
- coordinates activities of the Council and supports initiatives of the premiers;
- provides a central service to provincial ministers and officials in the operation and coordination of selected regional programs and projects;
- provides the institutional memory for Atlantic and Maritime intergovernmental cooperation and continuity for regional cooperation;
- performs head office function for regional agencies and employees, and provides services to the Council of Atlantic Ministers of Education and Training (CAMET), and the Conference of New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers (NEG/ECP).
As part of its continued commitment to improve its management performance, the CAP Secretariat has achieved the ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management designation. ISO 9001:2000 is attained by adherence to an international set of five related standards pertaining to quality assurance and control. These standards consisted of inspecting production processes, updating records, maintaining equipment, training employees, and handling customer relations.